Cleveland Surgical Error Attorney
Legal Representation for Victims of Surgical Errors
If you are undergoing surgery, your doctor has an obligation to explain known risks and complications as well as the success rate so you can make an informed decision about your medical care. While no outcome is guaranteed, you have a right to expect your provider to follow accepted standards of care.
At the law firm of Dennis Seaman & Associates in Cleveland, Ohio, we offer a free consultation to families affected by surgical errors. Whether or not you hire our law firm to represent you, one of our lawyers will listen to the facts of your case and explain your options.
Types of Surgical Errors
Examples of surgical errors that may constitute malpractice include:
- Leaks in gastric bypass surgery. If not recognized early, these can result in serious injury to the patient.
- Injuries to the bowel during surgery or colonoscopy. These can result in leaks of fecal matter into the abdominal cavity.
- Injuries to the bladder or other organs during surgery, resulting in medical conditions such as incontinence.
- Infections following surgery. These are a common surgical risk that may be avoided by putting high-risk patients on prophylactic antibiotics before surgery and carefully monitoring their condition after surgery.
- Wrong-site surgeries
- Medication errors or overdoses
- Anesthesia errors
- Misreading or not reading a patient’s medical chart
- Misreading or not reading a patient’s medical history
If you think you are the victim of a surgical error, it’s important to consult an attorney as soon as possible. Under Ohio law, you only have one year from the “cognizable event” to file a medical malpractice lawsuit. The cognizable event is the later of the following dates: the date you knew or should have known that negligence may have occurred, or one year from the date you were last treated by the medical provider whose care you allege to be negligent.
Protect Your Rights: Free Attorney Consultation
If you suffered an injury due to surgical error, contact our Cleveland, Ohio, medical malpractice lawyers to arrange a free consultation about your rights and options.